- Our two exercises for this warm up are Jumping Jacks and Donkey Kicks.
- For Jumping Jacks make sure students are keeping arms straight and getting full extensions.
- For Donkey Kicks, students get down with arms extended(top of a push up position) and keeping their legs together, they kick up and out the back as high as they can.
- This is a Tabata workout so we alternate the exercise for eight rounds in total with each round consisting of 20 seconds of work followed by 10 seconds of rest
This time students lie on their tummies, again they make themselves long with arms straight and over the head and legs straight and as long as possible, again no bend in the knee.
To create the superhero position, students now lift arms and legs off the ground while pushing their tummy into the ground.
- Lay a row of hoops along the ground.(hula hoops are best)
- Organise class into groups(use groups from warm up)
- Put one team at each end of the hoops
- First player from each hoop hops through the hoops towards the opposite team.
- When players meet in the middle, they stop and play Rock/Paper/Scissors.
- The winner continues hopping
- The loser must step off the course, complete 5 dish to superhero movements then return to the back of their line and wait for their next go.
- The next player in the line immediately hops onto the course and hops until the meet the player who has just won,where again they play hop paper scissors.
- Points are scored when a player gets all the way across to the other team.
- Start with two large groups until everyone gets the hang of the game.
- To increase participation set up several courses with multiple teams.
- Teams can be moved around every couple of minutes to compete against everyone in the class.
- Team with the most accumulated points at the end of the class are the overall winners
DOWNLOAD LESSON PLAN (PDF)