Warm up: Tabata
- Select a suitable tabata song (loads to choose from on all Music streaming services)
- Two exercises, Jumping Jacks and Mountain Climbers
- For Jumping Jacks stress the importance of getting legs out wide and keeping hands/arms long and straight (clapping at the top)
- For mountain climbers emphasise knees coming up close to the arms during each movement
- Complete 8 rounds of 20 seconds work followed by ten seconds rest, alternating between exercise every round
- For example, Round 1 Jumping Jacks 20secs
10 second rest
Round 2: Mountain Climbers (20 secs)
- 10 second rest
Round 3: Jumping Jacks
- 10 second rest
Round 4: Mountain Climbers (20 secs)
- 10 second rest… etc.
- Remember to keep encouraging children to keep going, using countdown each time so they realise there is never that long to go.
- Stress how well they have done at halfway mark
- Use final rounds to motivate to the end… i.e. “only three rounds to go! Second last round, Final round”
Squat: Key points
- Big chest, superhero chest, gorilla chest, whatever comparison you can come up with (Swimmers chest, National Anthem at Croke Park are a couple of others)
- Feet in the Goldilocks position shoulder width apart (Not too wide, not too narrow, just right)
- Maintain natural curve in the spine
- Feet stuck to the floor, heels down all the time
- Drop below parallel
- Keep those knees over the toes, no knobbly knees!
- Complete 3 rounds of 10 reps
- Music is always good for this too!
Game: This is essentially ball tag
- Designate a playing area, the entire hall or indoor space for a full size class. Use cones if you feel the space is too big and you need to make area smaller(This is especially important if in a large outdoor space, advantage should be with the Catchers)
- When children are tagged they must move to the side of the play area and complete 10 Air Squats after which they can return to the game.
- After a couple of mins, start the game again with new Catchers.
- Vary movements allowed during games, e.g.
Round 1: Running
Round 2: Hopping on 1 foot
Round 3: Bear Crawl
Round 4: Broad/Superhero Jumps
- Relax/Stretch/Recap (Exercise of the Day)