- Game involving strong teamwork and communication.
- Cover your playing area in obstacles of all kinds. Cones, hurdles, mats, skittles, hoops, whatever safe objects you can lay your hands on. The area is now the minefield.
- Divide class into pairs/teams.
- One student from each team starts at one end of the minefield. This player is blindfolded.
- The other members of the team wait at the other end of the minefield. It is their job to navigate the blindfolded members of their team through the minefield by shouting directions at their team mate.
- Functional movement exercises are performed by the entire team every time the blindfolded player bumps into any of the obstacles.
- First team to guide their player across wins
- All players get a turn to be the blindfolded player.
- This time students lie on their tummies, again they make themselves long with arms straight and over the head and legs straight and as long as possible, again no bend in the knee.
- To create the superhero position, students now lift arms and legs off the ground while pushing their tummy into the ground.
Four Corners Passing:
- Passing and movement game. This game helps children with contrary movement, pass one direction, move in another direction.
- Using a gym mat or cones to create a square/rectangular space(s), place one student in each corner.
- Create as many spaces as you need with four people in each group.
- Each group should have a ball.
- Start by getting students to pass from one person to the next in order around the space, don’t skip pass or throw diagonal passes.
- After about a minute get students to take a step back to increase the distance of the pass.
- After about another minute get the students to pass then run in the opposite direction to which the passed in attempt to get back to where they started before the ball gets back there.
Have patience with this one, it can take a few minutes for them to get the hang of it but is quite the spectacle when it gets going.
- Variation options:
- use different kinds and sizes of balls.
- Add functional movement, complete 5 squats every time someone drops the ball, complete 6 lunges every 90 secs etc.
DOWNLOAD LESSON PLAN (PDF)