At a Glance
- Warm up: Animal movements, inch worm bear crawl, frog jumps, lizards etc.
- Functional exercise: Lunges and variations, demo and practice
- Game: Hoop game.
Lunge Hoop Game
Warm up: Animal Movement
- For this warm up we allow the children to move freely around the playing area while they perform particular movements in response to various vocal prompts
- Teacher calls, “Bear Crawl” children move randomly around the hall on all fours with knees and shins slightly elevated off the ground, trying to keep a flat back.
- Teacher calls “Crab Walk” opposite of Bear Crawl, children are now facing upwards crawling on feet and hands
- Teacher calls “Frog Jumps” children jump off two feet and land on two feet.
- Teacher calls “Inch Worm” children start in upright position and walk out on their hands then slowly “inch” their feet behind them.
- Teacher calls “Bear to Crab” students rotate from static bear crawl position to static crab position.
- Teacher calls “ Lizards” students crawl close to the ground pulling knees up close to their chest and the ground as they move.
- Allow 20-30 seconds max for each movement and complete 2-3 rounds.
Lunges Demo: Key points
- Step forward into lunge position
- Back knee kisses the ground
- Keep front knee over the toes
- Keep back nice and straight.
Hoop Relay 2
- Team relay game using Hula Hoops.
- Set up a start line and finish line
- Divide group into teams.
- Give a hoop to each member of the team plus one extra hoop for the team.
- On go the first member of each team throws their hoop on the ground and steps into it.
- The rest of the team pass their hoops forward and step in as the pathway of hoops moves the team to the finish line.
- First team to cross the line wins.
- Introduce functional movement at start/finish of the game, for example complete 10 squats before starting, complete 10 lunges at finish line etc.