Floor is Lava
Warm up: Cone Laps:
- Create a circle (oval) using cones as best as your playing area allows.
- Divide class into two groups.
- Groups complete warm alternatively, one work one rest
- Running 1min
- Hopping 1 min(30sec each leg)
- Bear Crawl 30 seconds
- Frog Jumps 45 seconds
- Music helps create a great atmosphere during this warm up and also helps motivate students to keep going.
- Important exercise to activate hips.
- Students using softballs mimic kettlebell swing movement and learn to release ball at the top of this movement to create full hip extension.
- Students partner up and face opposite each other.
- Students using two hands on the ball drop their hands between their legs (slight bend in the legs), keeping arms straight all the way, then release ball at the top of this movement as per video.
- Variation: reverse throws(overhead) and backward twists(see video)
Floor is Lava:
DOWNLOAD LESSON PLAN (PDF)
- Create a playing area using hoops and benches as dens/safe areas for duration of the game
- Place as many cones as you can all over the floor for collection,
- Divide class into teams and allocate each team a colour of cone which they must collect
- One at a time team members take their turn at making their way through the lava field collecting cones/balls and bringing them back to the start.
- Players have a fireproof shoe which allows them to hop through the lava to pick up their cones, they may stop at a bench or hoop to switch feet
- Teams can be given a target number or set amount of time in which to collect as many cones as possible.
- We are emphasising the hip movement in this game hence standing on one leg to bend down and collect cones.
- Functional movements may be added at the start or end of each players go.