Warm up – Controlled Chaos
- Divide class into two groups at opposite ends over your hall. (Four groups if space is an issue, an extra group on each side)
- Allocate numbers, Group 1, Group 2 etc.
- Stress that each group can only move on specific instruction of “Go”
- Start with running up and back a couple of times.
- Then Hopping up on one foot and back on the other.
- Then Bear Crawl
- Then Broad/Superhero jumps.
- Add Crab Walk for next round
- Finish with running again.
Dish to Superhero
- Children lie on their backs
- They must make themselves long, stretching arms straight back over their heads and feet long and straight, no bend in the knees
- Lift arms and legs at the same time, lifting shoulder blades slightly off the ground to create v/dish shape.
- Repeat movement up and down keeping legs and arms straight.
- This time students lie on their tummies, again they make themselves long with arms straight and over the head and legs straight and as long as possible, again no bend in the knee.
- To create the superhero position, students now lift arms and legs off the ground while pushing their tummy into the ground.
We now practice moving from one position to the other, rolling on our hips each time, from dish to superhero and superhero to dish, rolling first to the right then to the left.
Get everyone to complete this movement about 10 times.
Game – Hop/Paper/Scissors
- Lay a row of hoops along the ground.(hula hoops are best)
- Organise class into groups(use groups from warm up)
- Put one team at each end of the hoops
- First player from each hoop hops through the hoops towards the opposite team.
- When players meet in the middle, they stop and play Rock/Paper/Scissors.
- The winner continues hopping
- The loser must step off the course, complete 5 dish to superhero movements then return to the back of their line and wait for their next go.
- The next player in the line immediately hops onto the course and hops until the meet the player who has just won, where again they play hop paper scissors.
- Points are scored when a player gets all the way across to the other team.
- Start with two large groups until everyone gets the hang of the game.
- To increase participation set up several courses with multiple teams.
- Teams can be moved around every couple of minutes to compete against everyone in the class.
- Team with the most accumulated points at the end of the class are the overall winners
DOWNLOAD LESSON PLAN (PDF)